A small collection of recipes. I will be slowly adding my favourites.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Morning Glory Muffins

My friend Ande put out a request on Facebook for a healthy muffin recipe that included apples and/or carrots. Bingo! I have one! The original recipe came from Calyn which I modified just slightly.

Morning Glory Muffins

Mix together:
2 1/4 cups flour - I use whole wheat but you can do some white and some whole wheat.
1/2 cup sugar - you can also use raw cane sugar or sucanet
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups finely shredded carrots (about 3 medium)
1 cup chopped apple (about 1 medium - gala and fuji taste the best)

In a separate bowl mix:
1/2 cup honey
3 eggs
3/4 cup oil (or melted butter)
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine ingredients unti just moist. Fill muffin tins (makes 12 generously sized) and bak 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Refrigerate after 1 day and they will keep for a week. They also freeze well.


p.s. If you want to make this even healthier, you can substitue 3/4 cup of ground flaxseed for 1/4 cup of the oil. Flaxseed is great for lowering cholesterol. I know from experience!

2 comments:

shannon i olson said...

I just love flax seed, use it all the time, so good and so good for you too!

Room to Inspire said...

These sound super yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Chelsea